NCERT Solutions for Class 10 Social Science Geography Chapter 6 Manufacturing Industries
NCERT Solutions for Class 10 Social Geography Chapter 6 Manufacturing Industries
What is manufacturing?
Production of goods in large quantities after processing from raw materials to more valuable products is called manufacturing.
Name any three physical factors that affect the location of the industry.
The three factors are
a. Availability of raw materials.
b. Power resources
c. Favourable climate.
three human inputs that control the location of industries.
Human inputs that control the location of industries are:
- Market and
- Transport facilities.
Name the important raw materials used in the manufacturing of cement?
Limestone, silica, alumina, and gypsum are important raw materials used in the manufacturing of cement.
How do industries pollute the environment?
Industries have increased pollution and degraded the environment. Industries create four types of pollution mainly air, water, land and noise. The smoke emitted by the industry pollutes the air and water immensely. Air pollution is caused by the presence of a higher proportion of undesirable gases such as carbon monoxide and sulphur oxide.
Source of water pollution are numerous. Most important is the industrial effluent that discharges into rivers. They are both organic and inorganic. They pollute the water. Unwanted loud noise is also pollution. It arises from industries and the different means of transport. Noise causes impairment to hear.
Discuss the steps to be taken to minimize environmental degradation by industry?
Minimizing the use of water for processing by reusing and recycling it, is done in two or more successive stages.
- Harvesting of rainwater to meet water requirements.
- Treating hot water and effluents before releasing them into rivers and ponds.
Treatment of industrial effluents can be done in three phases:
- Primary treatment by mechanical means.
This involves screening, grinding, flocculation, and sedimentation.
- Secondary treatment by biological process.
- Tertiary treatment by biological, chemical, and physical processes. This involves the recycling of wastewater.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following cities has emerged as the ‘electronic capital’ of India? [All India 2012]
2. On what basis is the industrial sector classified into public and private sectors? [All India 2012]
(a) Employment conditions
(b) The nature of economic activity
(c) Ownership of enterprises
(d) Number of workers employed in the enterprise
3. Which one of the following factors plays the most important role in the location of an industry in a particular region? [Delhi 2012]
(a) Raw material
(c) Least production cost
4. Which one of the following industries generates the largest amount of employment? [Foreign 2012]
(a) Cotton Industry
(b) Jute Industry
(c) Silk Industry
(d) Textile Industry
5. Which one of the following agencies markets steel for the public sector plants? [CBSE (CCE) 2012]
(c) TATA steel
6. Which one of the following industries is the largest contributor of Gross Domestics Production (GDP) in India? [CBSE (CCE) 2012]
7. TISCO is: [CBSE (CCE) 2012]
(a) Joint Sector Industry
(b) Private Sector Industry
(c) Co – operative Sector Industry
(d) Public Sector Industry
8. Which one of the following countries is giving stiff competition to India with regard to jute industry? [Delhi 2011]
9. Which one of the following has been the major source of foreign exchange for IT industry? [AI 2011]
10. Which one of the following public sector plants is located in Chhattisgarh? [Foreign 2011]
(a) Bokaro Steel Plant
(b) Bhilai Steel Plant
(c) Durgapur Steel Plant
(d) Rourkela Steel Plant
11. Which one of the following industries uses limestone as a raw material?
12. Which one of the following agencies, markets steel for the public sector plants?
(c) TATA Steel
13. Which one of the following industries uses bauxite as a raw material ?
14. Which one of the following industries manufactures telephones, computer, etc. ?
(d) Information Technology
15. The first textile mill was established in
16. Software technology park in Kerala
17. Leading centre of woollen textile industry in Punjab
18. Which of the following sectors does manufacturing belong to?
(a) Primary sector
(b) Secondary sector
(c) Tertiary Sector
(d) All the above
19. Which of the following industries is not a heavy industry?
(a) Cotton textile
(c) Iron and Steel
(d) Ship building
20. To which category Iron and Steel industry belong to?
(a) Small scale
(b) Large scale
(c) Cooperative sector
(d) Agro based
21. The first cement plant was set up at
22. Which city is known as electronic capital of India ?
23. The Software Technology Park in Rajasthan is located at
24. Which city is known as the Manchester of India ?
25. The first Jute mill was set up in ……………
26. India exports yarn to which of the following countries ?
27. Which position does India hold in terms of exporter of Jute goods ?
28. To which one of the following countries does India export jute goods ?
29. Which position does India hold in terms of Sugar production ?
30. Most of the sugar industries are ideally suited to
(a) Private sector
(b) Joint sector
(c) Cooperative sector
(d) Public sector
31. The first Iron and Steel company was set up at …………
32. The shore based Iron and Steel plant of India is at ……………
33. Which of the two steel plants are in collaboration with Russia?
(a) Bhadravati and Salem
(b) Bhilai and Bokaro
(c) Bokaro and Jamshedpur
(d) Burnpur and Durgapur
34. Which country is the largest producer of Iron and Steel in the world ?
35. Which is the second most important metallurgical industry in India ?
(a) Iron and Steel
(b) Copper smelting
(c) Aluminium smelting
36. Which position does India hold in the world in terms of chemical industry ?
37. India in the third largest producer of:
(c) Ammonium Phosphate
(d) Nitrogenous fertilizer
38. To which countries does India export cement ?
(c) Middle East
(d) East Asia
39. Which of the following states have more than one Software Technology Park ?
(a) Tamil Nadu and Kerala
(b) Karnataka and Orissa
(c) Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh
(d) Maharashtra and Karnataka
40. The only Software Technology Park is located in which one of the following north-eastern states.
(a) Himachal Pradesh
41. Iron and Steel industry requires Iron ore, coking coal and limestone in which of the following proportions ?
(a) 2 : 3 : 1
(b) 4 : 2 : 1
(c) 1 : 2 : 3
(d) 2 : 3 : 4
42. Which rank does India hold in terms of crude steel production in the world ?
43. The per capita consumption of steel in India is
(a) 50 kg /Annum
(b) 40 kg / Annum
(c) 32 kg/Annum
(d) 20 kg/Annum
44. Which of the following states has more than one Iron and Steel plant ?
(a) Tamil Nadu
(b) West Bengal
45. To which one of the following countries India has an easy access from Gujarat to export cement ?
(a) Gulf countries
(d) European counties
46. Which one of the following is not a centre of Automobile industry ?