Class 11 Political Science Notes Chapter 5 Rights
- Rights are primarily those claims which are necessary for leading a life of respect and dignity.
- Rights are those conditions or guarantees which the state provides to every citizen in order to attain best self in the society.
- The legal rights are given by the government to its citizens which are classified as social rights, political rights and fundamental rights.
- Duty is an obligation by which, we are bound to do something which can be classified as fundamental duties, legal duties and moral duties.
- A bill of rights is enshrined in the constitution to be given a primary importance, known as fundamental rights.
- Political rights give to the citizens the right to equality and to participate in political processes.
- Economic rights gives the right to enjoy the opportunities to earn one’s own livelihood to fulfill their basic needs.
- But rights can be enjoyed only, if a person is committed towards the duties also.
- Moral duties include duties towards self, family, society, neighbors, humanity, etc.
- Legal duties include obedience of law, payment of taxes, to participate in military services if required as well as to cooperate with government employees.
- On 10th of December 1948, the General Assembly of the UN adopted and proclaimed the universal declaration of Human Rights as a common standard of achievement for all peoples and all nations.