Class 11 Political Science Notes Chapter 2 Freedom
- Freedom is a liberty to do whatever a person likes to do or a positive power of doing and enjoying the worth of work.
- Freedom has the two aspects, i.e. positive and negative.
- Positive freedom refers to those rights which do not reach any harm to others if enjoyed as well essential for an individual’s development.
- Negative freedom implies the absence of any restraints on freedom.
- Freedom can be classified as natural freedom, civil freedom, political freedom, economic freedom, religious freedom, individual freedom, etc.
- Various safeguards have been provided for freedom, i.e. democratic setup, equal rights for all, economic security constitutional provisions, etc.
- Freedom of expression require non-interference or should not be restricted because it is a fundamental value to be possessed by the people.
- Though, a number of times, the demands have been raised to ban books, films, articles, journals, etc.
- Banning is an easy solution for the short term to meet the immediate demand but it is very harmful for long term prospects of freedom in a society.
- Because once one begins to ban, then one develops a habit of banning. Constraints of different kinds thus exist and we are subject to them in different situations.